Monday, January 30, 2012

1st Assignment

I have had previous experience in Second Life from another class at Columbia. I have only played 10+ hours at most, so I'm still pretty inexperienced. I'm familiar with 3D worlds from playing a bit of WoW in high school. And it goes without saying social spaces aren't a new thing for anyone living in this generation.

I had one major thought that recurred with me from my last visit to Second Life and that it is the technology limits the immersion. Streaming everything onto the screen at once takes a lot of power and if I ever go anywhere with many, many assets, my experience is severely hurt. Second Life is more fun with more people around and, it turns out, the more popular and hotter a spot is, the longer it takes for me to move and see anything.

I have two pictures my venture yesterday. I searched random places such as Zoo, Club, etc. I found myself in a mall with clothing stores, laid out the same way a real store would, with men's clothing upstairs and women's clothing downstairs. I was ported out of an area for trespassing and was in a new place, with no bearings of direction. I rode a golf cart I found nearby and drove it to a snowy orphanage. It is there where I took these pictures.


-Vix Vaniva

No comments:

Post a Comment