Monday, January 30, 2012

Virtual Worlds First Assignment

So, I definitely had a very interesting time on Second Life so far. Since I missed the first class do to horrible oral surgery, I had to learn how to make an avatar myself. Since my brother has a past with programing, and was familiar with Second Life, I asked him if he could help me learn the basic building tools and help me make my avatar. He scoffed at me and told me that I could just figure it out if I tried. The avatar was particularly difficult, because I refused to look up how to do it with online tutorials, because I wanted to figure it out on my own. After the second day, my screen name finally had an avatar under it rather than a sentient-looking blue cloud. Which is in a way still pretty cool, I guess. When I saw the building tools, they reminded me of tools I use in photoshop and in illustrator, along with a program my brother used to use to make his own video games. I didn't want to play around too much, for fear of doing something HORRIBLY wrong that I couldn't fix. But I feel pretty confident about everything, and I'm really excited! The only negative thing I have to say is that working with a Mac in a programming class is probably going to suck, and I'm really upset that  forgot my mouse at home. To say the least, I've had an interesting time in Second Life so far, along with awkward encounters with random people in the Columbia I Am world...particularly awkward because I left my chat on and no one tried to talk to me. Either way, I hope that this class is as exciting as my first few times using Second Life. I always love learning to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment