Monday, April 2, 2012

Final Project Proposal


For my final project I want to create a 3D gallery space. I am using a chess theme with large black and white blocks. Users will navigate through the 3D space with large chess pieces surrounding them. The blocks are staggered and uneven so that moving requires deliberate movement. I plan to turn off flying for this gallery so that users move in a more human nature, despite the project being unrealistic in real life. The scale and environment is meant for human experience. I decided chess pieces because I enjoy their classic style and I love classic games. A machinima we watched in class used large blocks in huge amounts of space and it provoked me to create my own 3D space. A recent game called Catherine also takes advantages of large blocks by using them as the primary puzzle element. Creating an environment that is appealing to me as a designer and as an artist, as well as one that is catered to the user walking through the gallery, is my goal.
I was inspired today when looking at my current work. I knew I wanted to the blocks to be staggered and interesting to walk on while user's were at level with the gallery. I looked at my work from a bird's eye perspective and noticed that I was building a chess board visually from above. I want users to see this view of a chess board while they are first experiencing the gallery. Users will then come down to level and navigate through the terrain. Metaphorically speaking, it looks and reads like any old chess board from above, but when looked at closely, it is a much more unique experience.

1 comment:

  1. Ac couple of things that I'll be looking at here: do your blocks help navigate the space. is there an alternative way to navigate the space? How do I learn to walk through the gallery? Are there instructions (like a notecard-giver)? Is the process of navigating the space like working out a puzzle? Is it challenging or interesting?

    ReplyDelete