Monday, April 9, 2012

Progress

After doing the mushroom tutorial, I realized I could make pawn chess pieces with the same method. I surprised myself with the decent quality output. When I uploaded the pawn pieces, I realized I rendered them to be extremely small in Maya. Scaling upwards was no difficulty and painting one a different color couldn't be easier. I want the pieces to be larger than human scale to give a sense of belittlement. I'm not sure if I want to scale even bigger. I will probably do so and create a perfect grid of blocks using coordinates, since right now I've done everything by eye.

A chess board is 8x8, which means there will be 64 blocks arranged in various heights. I do not plan to create every single chess piece. I may take advantage of the ease of the pawn's creation to create a pawn heavy set, which has its own political meaning. I will attempt a harder piece such as Queen with the help of a lab aid.

This project is going to be very large in scale and might need to be moved to a more deserted location. I plan to create a movie sequence as well as allow visitors in SL.

1 comment: