Sunday, February 26, 2012

Avatar Editing


Over the weekend I spent time changing my avatar in Second Life.  Other than what was required for class, I haven’t really spent any time on my avatar.  I decided to edit my skin and form and find some new hair.  The editing system is a little challenging.  I wish it worked the same way building does.  It has these preset limitations with sliding bars to adjust it.  I wish there was a stretch tool like when building to alter the body parts.  It’s not that the system is bad, it’s just a little limiting.  For example, when I was editing the eye brows; sliding one bar affects all of the other ones, and getting the right thickness is difficult.  Where as, being able to directly edit edges would be easier for the user.  It’s not too bad though, it certainly could be worse, that was my only real hang up with the avatar editing.  
The hair was pretty frustrating, the editing does not work well at all, but as stated in class, flexi-hair is better anyways.  I didn’t spend too much time on the hair, I decided to explore and look for free or inexpensive hair.  I clearly still have more to learn about the world.  I was bombarded with chats, notecards, half rendered items and people running all over.  I’m sure this is routine for Second Life, but I’m used to the Columbia island and newbie areas.  I did end up finding some free flexi-hair to wear and it was much easier to resize and adjust.  I think I’ll explore attachments more and try to make my own objects for my avatar.  I was also wondering about the attachment limit and if it applies to body parts too.  Can an avatar be made from scratch?  The interface for the standard avatar seems limiting, I would like to try other alternatives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment