Monday, March 5, 2012

Journeying with Landmarks



I have traveled to just a handful of places in SL, whether thru the search bar and a random entry or thru the word of a friend. Some places are interesting, some are packed with people (which makes rendering things a nightmare). All in all, I've learned a new appreciation to SL environments, and just taking in the scenery.

My friend Hibiki handed me a location card the other day to the space station above Columbia Island. He tells me the space station was created by one person. The station is beautiful yet simple. It has a bar and many rooms inside. I enjoyed looking around the scenery and appreciating the architecture. It is easy to appreciate the 3D design and interior architecture. I imagined creating my own 3D spaces and giving them purpose. The space bar is a cool place, but what does it do? It provides a cool hang out, no doubt. But could it be more? I thought of using it as a cinema setting. Hibiki showed me some machinima from SL and the idea intrigues me. The types of actors and locations could be limitless and your imagination is the only limit.

Exploring the multiple rooms made me realize the potential for scenes and spaces that are all driven by the players. It was fun goofing off with Hibiki in there and chatting. Each room may offer a unique object or setting, but it ultimately made me think more about location and purpose with SL.

No comments:

Post a Comment