Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The World Is Your Canvas


Exploring SL is super exciting. I look around at all the environments and objects and think about the creation and the creator. Some assets are bought and repeated or stretched to create the illusion of customization. Even if everything in one environment isn't from a singular author, it is from a singular vision. Looking at Columbia Island, our environment is rich and fascinating. No doubt this has to do with the type of residents and their ambitions. Every environment I've seen is a rich 3D environment that was designed by a visionary.

Currently, my only ability to create environments is limited to Columbia Island and its sandbox. I can only make primitive shapes. I can join several prims together and use some imagination to create some really unique shapes. However, until I can model a customizable 3D object, my output is limited. Prims are not all that bad, and I still have a lot of flexibility within prims. After learning about their several properties, such as flexible, physical, locked, etc., and importing my own textures, I believe I can make a pretty complex structure.

I missed class the week before and when I came back to the sandbox, I saw some buildings floating above. These looked like combinations of prims that were simple enough to do on my own. I remember someone mentioning the door even has a script to open and that doesn't seem too hard to do!

I look forward to envisioning a final project. 3D design and virtual spaces are still a new avenue of creativity for me, so I have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment