Monday, March 19, 2012

VWPBE

I attended the conference on prejudice in virtual worlds and it was really just a quick presentation on creating a sexist sim that openly discriminates against women called Maletopia. I was hoping for a bigger discussion on why there were so few black avatars in SL but sadly things didn't really deviate from the script or scratch below the surface. This isn't counting how both presenters were late to arrive and how they didn't give me a landmark until a day later. I didn't really learn much aside from what somebody else's sim was. So I wasn't all that impressed and ultimately left feeling like I just wasted enough of my time that I didn't bother with any of the other presenters.

Maletopia is still under construction and not available to the public without an LM. I'll still give one to anyone who asks but it didn't really get it's point across as well as it could and just felt like Gor-lite instead of a real commentary on sexism online. There needs to be more discussion of the issues rather than just a satirical sim. It's one thing to point out a problem but it's a weak argument without any solutions presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment